This program is a a memorable -easy to remember- but secure password generator and checker, to someone how need it. (Should be everybody 😉 )
The way to create a hard to break password:
- The longer the password, the harder it is to crack. Consider a 16-character password or longer.
- Things to avoid: Personal staff, names, places, dictionary words.
- Use variations on capitalization, numbers, and symbols.
- Do NOT use Substitute characters like $ for s, 3 for B or e, @ for a, 1 for l, etc…., it will NOT increase your password security!
Well, I use dictionary words, because it is very hard to remember random passwords. But the program also alter this words, insert some random chars, numbers in it or make it uppercase. But it’s not use “substitute characters”, for example: password -> p@$$w0rd.
Create your password
The concept is to create passwords from words, but alter to prevent “normal” attacking method to crack it.
For password cracking, there is three different methods
1.a) Dictionary Attack
1.b) Rainbow table
2.) Brute Force Attack
3.) Guessing for most common passwords like “abcdef”, “123456”, “jesus”, “password”, etc…
Check your password
The program contains also a password checker, which check “normal” attacking methods. It will give you a point based on the password strength and an estimated time to crack it, based on the used computer/server speed.
Methods to check:
- Password strengths (Lowercase, consecutive, sequential character, number and symbols by pattern),
- Rainbow table (MD5, SHA1), checked with google,
- Dictionary attack, checked with -hackers used- dictionary file, contains over 2 million “bad passwords”,
- Entropy against Brute Force Attack.
Because you should use different passwords for all your different sites, it is hard to remember the passwords.
You may consider to use “password managers”.
Keepass (free, open-source password manager)
If you like to keep your password on your devices (some plugins provide cloud management Dropbox or Google Drive), you can use KeePass, it has
- executable -installer or portable- for Windows, Ubuntu Linux and Mac OS from Mac App store
- browser plugins, like Firefox, Chrome and Opera Add-ons so it can fill up your forms as well.
Also has apps for
- Android like KeePassDroid or Keepass2Android
- iOS like MiniKeePass
- Windows Phone like 7Pass or MetroPass
If you like to keep your password in the cloud you can use Lastpass. It has Windows, Linux and Mac OS executable, browser Add-Ons for multiple browsers, apps for Andorid, iPhone, Windows Phone, etc…
Joke (but it is true)
Also don’t forget, your password longer, harder to crack.
Please read the disclaimer.
License: Free for personal or commercial use (Include link to authors website).
Require: Windows XP or newer, installed C# .Net 4.0.